Sunday, May 27, 2012

A plethora of sailing days!

Four days of sailing in a row! Granted, two of those days were short sails, we sailed just to our favourite anchoring point and swim, but we sailed none the less. Imagine swimming in Lake Ontario in May! Unheard of. That is proof in the pudding that global warming is a fact. That and that I put $600 worth of snow tires on in November and we had maybe three snowfalls that might have warranted the purchase. In Canada. Wow.

So far that is a total of 13 days of sailing and the boat has been in the water for around 39 days. Not too bad.

It takes the wife and I less than three minutes to unhook the shore power and dock lines and be on our way.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Long weekeng of sailing and a rigging failure.

In the past 5 days we have been sailing on 4 of them! Only 2 minor glitches that marred an otherwise perfect stretch of days. On 2 of those days we sailed to anchoring points that we liked and basically picnicked on our boat all day, reading, drinking, eating and napping. It can be an easy life style to fall into.

The first glitch was that the starboard block for our jib sheet exploded! We have a multitude of spare blocks on board so it was an easy fix.

The second glitch needs a bit of background here. Here in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, most of us sailors stay in the Hamilton Bay as to get out to Lake Ontario proper you have to pass under a lift bridge that open at the top of the hour and the bottom of the hour.

Earlier this year a cable snapped on the bridge, trapping a couple of lakers (Large commercial freighters) in the bay until temporary repair could be made. Repairs were made and things seemed good.

Well, one day we decided to go on the lake so we approached the lift bridge at the bottom of the hour. It didn't lift. We putted around for another half an hour, again, no lift. We tried raising them on channels 12 and 16, no response. We know our radio works, we can hear and speak on it. So, here we are in a restricted waterway, limited maneuvering room and a snotty bridge operator to boot.

On the other side of the bridge an RCMP, (Royal Canadian Mounted Police, our national police force), marine unit approaches as we miss yet another bridge raising deadline. The cops hail the bridge and the bridge answers! The bridge tells the cops what time the bridge will lift, no explanation why it is so. The cops leave.

Eventually the bridge lifts, we do our thing and repeat the process coming back many hours later. After some investigating and phone calls we find out the cable wire repair was temporary and they will only lift 1 hour after the lift bridge was lowered so as to not overheat the repair job.

The thing is, when we, or anyone else tries to contact them, we identify ourselves as SV this, or MV that. The bridge only responds to commercial vessels. Assholes, and no, there is not a multitude of vessels trying to make radio contact. They are just assholes.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The road trip

Here is the boat, bow on. There is a lot of work to be done on her, which works out in our favour if and when it comes down to offer time.
I am 6' 3" and there is at least 3 more inches headroom in the galley/dinnette area. A plus considering my present boat has 5'6".

Boom roller furling, though I suspect it isn't used as it is also equiped with lazy jacks. The thing with this particular system is that the main wraps around the boom itself, which requires the removal of the boom vang. Good news is that it does spin freely.

Minimal, and I mean minimal electrical system on board. My Coronado 25 has better. Another plus in our favour.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Boat viewing

We are going to look at this boat this comming Saturday. If we like it, we will put an offer down, conditional on what a surveyer reports of course. This is so in my price range and chosen life style. No debt and we can afford to put $900 a months work into it without hurting ourselves.....much:)

Don't know how old this shot is but I do like her lines.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

To rehash the chain plate repair, here is a shot of the severely cracked gel coat. It was cracked so deep that the wood core was wet.
The second picture shows the fiberglass ground away along with a very thin layer of the wood core. I then taped plastic over it. Then, every day for two weeks I lifted the plastic and wiped it dry. The core was desert dry after that. I used a light fiber glass mat and resin to rebuild the deck. After that cured, I used a thickened, and I mean really thickened, resin and built the deck up slightly higher than the original. After that cured I sanded it down, using a sanding pad used for drywall, as it was long enough to make a nice even and level sanding job in relation to the original decking. Yes, after that was done, I still had to fill in a couple of low spot and resand.
Then I located the positions for the new stainless steel base and backing plates. This should eliminate the causes and stresses that created the crazing in the first place. I am pleased to report that they were placed perfectly. Yay for me.

Finally, here is the finished product, all primed for painting. The product is seemless to the original hull. The only draw back is that when I applied the primer, there came a big gust of wind that dropped grit in the wet paint. Oh well.