Saturday, February 14, 2009

This is part of our 1/4 inch ply ceiling. there was some delamination so we decided to replace the whole inside top. We knew it was going to be a big job so there are no surprises for us.
To start the job I went to Princess Auto and bought a 3 pound maul and a 4" wide flat chisel. The first few layers of ply came off rather easily. The big problem was the last layer of ply. it was well adhered to the bottom of the fiberglass deck. What to do?
I decided that old fashioned sanding was the only solution. So off to Canadian Tire and bought a sanding adaptor for my antique 7" angle grinder.
Wow, using a 36 grit sanding disc the last material just flew off!. Even with a respirator and goggles I was soon choked out and blinded by the flying sawdust. That machine sure made a mess. After only a 1/2 hour of sanding there was a 1/4" layer of sawdust covering everything, and I mean everything in the boat, including myself.
I now signed out a full sealed face shield/respirator combination from work. Today, I go do more.
The wife informed me in no uncertain terms that we will NOT be painting the hull this spring. She wants to sail. We'll talk, I mean we do have to put anti-fouling on so....
With the majority of the wood trim in my basement most of it is sanded, stained and varnished. You wouldn't guess that it is 30 years old. I can't wait to post those pictures when they are installed in a couple of months.
Lots of work but I wouldn't have it any other way. I am learning so much.

No comments: