Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hole in the deck!

Here are two pictures looking aft, with the engine compartment removed. The circular holes were where the engine compartment vents were, and will be again. The other four holes was where the guard rail stanchions compressed the deck. I cut them out. Hint: use a metal cutting blade on the fiberglass as any other blade won't last a minute.
I cut a 1/4 plywood support panel for underneath and uses some glass and resin and bonded it to the bottom of the deck from inside the engine compartment. Then I glassed on a bigger fiberglass sheet cloth than the plywood support panel.
This is only on the port side so far as the f#@%&^g weather is not co-operating.
We have to delay the launching of the boat 9 days because of this.
To save money, we are using Bondo marine body filler for fairing the repairs as it is way cheaper than the 3M stuff, plus you get a lot more of it.
Damn, I want to be sailing now.
This lets me know that we can afford a larger fixer upper and over the years do it right while sailing the traing boat. All we need is some land to store it!!!

No comments: